The new cookbook California Vegan: Inspiration and Recipes from the People and Places of the Golden State, by Sharon Palmer welcomes Californians into veganism and vegans all over the world into California.
In this interview, I talk with Sharon Palmer about her latest cookbook California Vegan: Inspiration and Recipes from the People and Places of the Golden State. Sharon is a registered dietitian nutritionist, holds a masters of Science in Sustainable Food Systems and is founder of the popular food blog, The Plant Powered Dietician.
What is the California Vegan Vibe?
In this interview, Sharon shares with us all about what makes the California food scene so special. I love that her new book talks about the history of California eating as she says “let’s bring more history to our plates”. Here is what we talk about in this interview:
- Why California vegan eating is so special
- The Cultural Influences that are part of classic California plant based eating
- The California vegan food aesthetic
- How the Mediterranean climate in California impacts the food vibe
- Tips to incorporate California vegan cooking into your kitchen no matter what state you live in
Tips to Be a California Vegan – No Matter Your Location
Sharon had some great tips on how you incorporate California cooking into your kitchen!
- Become familiar with global, plant-based food cultures in your region, and try some of the ingredients and dishes in your own kitchen
- Follow the seasons for produce.
- Use a light touch of extra virgin olive oil as your main fat, for cooking, salads, marinades, and even baking!
- Go heavy on fresh herbs, spices, and citrus to season your foods, and light on added salt and sugar.
- Pile on pulses (beans, lentils, peas) and whole grains in home-made veggie-burgers, side-dishes, salads, and power bowls.
- Make your eating style downright delicious, satisfying, and addictive.
Buy the California Vegan Cookbook and Connect with Sharon!
Buy this new cookbook: California Vegan: Inspiration and Recipes from the People and Places of the Golden State
Connect with Sharon: