With cinnamon, nutmeg and warm fall flavor these Healthy Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Slices are the perfect seasonal treat! Gluten-free, vegan and nut free they are a cozy breakfast the whole family will enjoy.
The apple season is upon us! Do you love autumn? I do and that is why I am in love with these apple cinnamon baked oatmeal slices. Warm from the oven they are a healthy apple treat full of cinnamon and spice.
Apples are such a delicious sweet treat to eat on their own especially when freshly picked during apple season! I love to use Gala apples for both eating and for apple recipe baking! I also use Gala apples in our Apple Cider Chili and Kale Salad with Pumpkin Tahini Dressing.
Now who knew that on the first day of fall when I first made this delicious healthy treat – it would be 90 degrees outside. YIKES! I think we have confused the first day of autumn with the first day of summer in West Michigan. Here it is mid-September and I am craving watermelon vs. apples! Due to the heat wave, I now have gala apples on my countertop going bad because we are stuffing our faces with watermelon instead!
With that in mind and seeing that my fresh apples needed to be used before they went rotten, these apple cinnamon baked oatmeal slices were created! Because wasting a good apple? That is not going to happen on my watch!
Combining fresh apples with oatmeal is so delicious! Freshly baked these slices are warm, comforting and perfect for a hearty and healthy breakfast.
Apple Baked Oatmeal Ingredients
Simple ingredients are another reason this cinnamon apple baked oatmeal is so good! Here is what you need:
- Apples – I love Gala apples but any variety works
- Old fashioned rolled oats – gluten-free oats if needed
- Baking date paste
- Maple syrup
- Warm spices – Cinnamon and nutmeg, you can also use apple pie spice
- Sun butter – you can also use any nut butter of choice
- Applesauce – I used unsweetened applesauce
- Vanilla Extract
These gluten free apple sunbutter slices come together quickly and smell so good while baking!
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
First you will need to cut up your apples and toss them with maple syrup and cinnamon.
Next, make your gluten free apple oat crust. Press your oat mixture into the pan of your choice and top with your reserved apple mixture.
Last, sprinkle on your sunflower seeds. Bake until done and devour!
These apple slices contain no refined sugar and no nuts. They are very allergy friendly! I used gluten free oats from these apple oat bars but you if you are not gluten free, feel free to use regular old fashioned oats.
These homemade oat bars come together quickly. I made them in a pie pan so I could slice them like a pie but they would also be good made in a square pan!
How to Store and Reheat
This vegan naturally sweetened apple cinnamon baked oatmeal is perfect warm right out of oven! Leftovers store well in the refrigerator and are perfect reheated and served with a dollop of dairy free yogurt. This could also be a perfect healthy dessert with dairy free vanilla ice cream.
These apple cinnamon baked slices are also freezer friendly! Just thaw, warm up and enjoy! They will lose some crunch, but still be very good.
More Easy Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Breakfast Peach Crumble
- Savory Sweet Potato Avocado Breakfast Bowl
- Grain Free Granola Bars
Healthy Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Apple Cinnamon Slices
- 2` Gala apples , sliced
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Gala apples , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons Sun Butter , or nut butter of choice
- 2 Tablespoons baking date paste
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats , gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Apple Cinnamon Slices
- Slice 2 apples and place in small bowl.
- Add maple syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt to bowl with apples. Stir well. Set aside.
- Chop other two apples in small pieces. Place in small saucepan with applesauce, water, sunbutter, baking dates, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Bring to boil over low heat and stir until mixed well .
- Place oats in medium sized bowl and pour your apple/sunbutter mixture over oats. Stir until combined.
- Spread in your prepared pie plate.
- Top with reserved apple slices and raw sunflower seeds
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or store in fridge.