The apple season is upon us! Do you love autumn? I do and that is why I am in love with these apple oat sunbutter slices – warm from the oven they are a healthy apple treat full of cinnamon and spice.
Ingredients in Apple Oat SunButter Slices
I live in Michigan and we are the 3rd largest apple producer in the United States! That is pretty impressive and not to boast, but that also means we know apples. Here are some fun Michigan apple facts, according to the Michigan Apple Committee
- 14.9 Million Apple Trees throughout the State
- 34,500 Acres of Land Dedicated to Growing Apples
- 775 Family Run Apple Producing Orchards
Apples are such a delicious sweet treat to eat on their own especially when freshly picked during apple season! I love the Honeycrisp variety if I am going to eat an apple raw. It is superbly sweet and very crunchy. I love to use Gala apples for both eating on its own and for apple recipe baking! I also use Gala apples in our Apple Cider Chili and Kale Salad with Pumpkin Tahini Dressing.
For these Vegan Apple Oat SunButter Slices you will need:
- Gala Apples (or apple of choice)
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Baking Dates
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
These gluten free apple sunbutter slices come together quickly and smell so good while baking!
How to Make Apple Oat SunButter Breakfast Slices
Now who knew that on the first day of fall when I first made this delicious healthy treat – it would be 90 degrees outside. YIKES! I think we have confused the first day of autumn with the first day of summer in West Michigan. Here it is mid-September and I am craving watermelon vs. apples! Due to the heat wave, I now have gala apples on my countertop going bad because we are stuffing our faces with watermelon instead! With that in mind and seeing that my fresh apples needed to be used before they went rotten, these apple oat sunbutter slices were created! Because wasting a good apple? That is not going to happen on my watch!
These apple slices contain no refined sugar and no nuts. They are very allergy friendly! I used gluten free oats from these apple oat bars but you if you are not gluten free, feel free to use regular old fashioned oats.
These homemade oat bars come together quickly. I made them in a pie pan so I could slice them like a pie but they would also be good made in a square pan!
First you will need to cut up your apples and toss them with maple syrup and cinnamon. Next, make your gluten free apple oat crust. Press your oat mixture into the pan of your choice and top with your reserved apple mixture. Last, sprinkle on your sunflower seeds. Bake until done and devour!
These vegan naturally sweetened apple oat sunbutter slices are perfect warm right out of oven! They store well in the refrigerator and are perfect reheated and served with a dollop of dairy free yogurt. This could also be a perfect healthy dessert with dairy free vanilla ice cream.
These apple oat sunbutter slices are also freezer friendly! Just thaw, warm up and enjoy! They will lose some crunch, but still be very good.
Make These Apple Oat SunButter Slices
These apple oat sunbutter slices are perfect for those following a plant based diet!
If you make these apple oat sunbutter slices, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Apple Oat SunButter Slices
Apple Cinnamon Slices
- 2 small gala apples, sliced
- 1 Tblsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 small gala apples, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/8 cup water
- 3 Tblsp
- 2 Tblsp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (I used )
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Apple Cinnamon Slices
- Slice 2 apples and place in small bowl.
- Add maple syrup, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp salt to bowl with apples. Stir well. Set aside.
- Chop other two apples in small pieces. Place in small saucepan with applesauce, water, sunbutter, baking dates, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Bring to boil over low heat and stir until mixed well .
- Place oats in medium sized bowl and pour your apple/sunbutter mixture over oats. Stir until combined.
- Spread in your prepared pie plate.
- Top with reserved apple slices and raw sunflower seeds
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or store in fridge.