One word for this apple pumpkin soup with chipotle recipe.
You guys need this fall soup in your life. It is so delicious!
SAVORY. SWEET. SIMPLE INGREDIENTS. CHIPOTLE. All words I love. ♥️
Vanessa Croessmann, from Vegan Family Recipes brings us this delicious Apple Pumpkin Soup with Chipotle recipe in her brand new book:
And this book is a beauty! From beginning to end, this well put together book is filled with beautiful vegan soups that you literally just want to eat right off the page.
80 Plant Based Soup Recipes that are:
- Made with Whole Food Ingredients
My only regret in making this Apple Pumpkin Soup with Chipotle recipe is that I didn’t double it so I could have some for later!
(but now that I know how delicious this one was, it is safe to say I will be doubling further soup making recipes). This recipe is a keeper for both meal prep and it freezes well. I topped this creamy dairy free soup with tortilla strips and a dollop of extra chipotle. Customize this soup how you would like to eat it!
So what made this particular apple pumpkin soup so good?
At first, I taste tested without the chipotle – and that was a super tasty explosion in my mouth. Because seriously, what goes better together than apples and pumpkins in the fall? Umm. Nothing. That is kind of the essence of fall, don’t you think?
The taste was delightful – sweet but not overly – and SO FRESH. The combination of the ingredients in the soup base just worked so harmoniously together that my tastebuds were immediately dancing a melodious tune.
Yes that is right – they were dancing a melodious tune!
BUT then I swirled in the chipotle peppers.
And it took this soup to a whole ‘nother level. Sweet with a Smokey, Savory Aftertaste.
So now, we know, apples and pumpkins work harmoniously together. And chipotles, well… it is like that family member that everyone adores. When they show up, it just adds to the group something that you didn’t even know was missing.
Yes, it was that good. The chipotle peppers – just try it in this soup recipe. You will love it.
And I am so excited to make more soups from this book!I know I am going to be using this book in every season.
Because soups just aren’t for fall or winter, as Vanessa wisely shows us in her book – there are vegan soup recipes for every season!
AND now let’s get to making some nourishing delicious soup, shall we? If you make this soup we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media!
Apple Pumpkin Soup with Chipotle | Awesome Vegan Soups Book Review
Chipotle adds the perfect kick to make this autumn soup shine!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 apple, peeled and cubed (I used a honeycrisp but a gala or fuji apple would work equally well)
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (400 g) peeled and cubed pumpkin
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth
- ¾ cup (180 ml) coconut milk**
- 1 (7-oz [198 g]) jar chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
- Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot and sauté the garlic for 2 minutes until it becomes fragrant. Add the diced apple and celery and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender, or in a blender in batches, until smooth. Return to the stovetop, add the coconut milk to make soup extra creamy if desired. Bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes. Puree one more time if not completely smooth.
- Serve with chopped chipotle and fresh cilantro.
***I divided soup into two large bowls and swirled in about 1 – 2 teaspoons of the chipotle sauce from the jar – ADJUST TO YOUR TASTE.