Crispy oven baked buffalo cauliflower are a healthy game day appetizer that everyone will love! Made with simple ingredients, they are lower in carbs and vegan but have delicious buffalo wing flavor.
Buffalo Wing Inspired Veggies
Flavorful oven baked buffalo cauliflower have the taste of buffalo wings but are a healthier substitute. They are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and so tasty!
Instead of frying, these cauliflower bites are baked which not only saves calories but is less messy, too.
Made with cauliflower, a simple breading, and then baked, everyone will love these buffalo sauce covered cauliflower nuggets. They are perfect for the Super Bowl or anytime you want a little healthier appetizer.
These are a crowd pleaser and will disappear quickly! Other fun snacks we love include this oil free roasted red pepper hummus with baked tortilla chips.
Ingredients for Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
These crispy cauliflower bites with buffalo sauce have minimal ingredients and are very easy to make! I love making them for get togethers with friends or family, even the most skeptical vegetable eaters love them.
- Cauliflower: You will need one head of cauliflower chopped into smaller florets.
- Buffalo Sauce: I like to use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce as I can find it easily at my local store. You might be alarmed at the ingredient “natural butter flavor” but it actually contains no dairy.
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour: To keep these gluten free buffalo cauliflower, I made a breading with gluten free flour. You can use regular flour.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds additional flavor, you can use regular paprika but I really encourage you to get some smoked paprika!
- Garlic Powder: Another layer of flavor in your oven baked buffalo cauliflower.
- Gluten Free Panko Breadcrumbs: Adds just a touch of crispiness, you can use regular Panko or omit.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: Or use your favorite non dairy milk.
How to Make Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
Baked cauliflower wings with buffalo sauce are easy to make! These low carb cruciferous vegetable wings are mildly spiced and perfect in a salad bowl with fresh greens and a scoop of guacamole.
Here are the steps to making vegan buffalo cauliflower:
- Make your gluten free “batter” coating for the cauliflower florets. This will ensure you cauliflower wings get crispy on the outside and tender on the inside when you roast them in the oven. Mix your gluten free flour, almond milk and spices together. This will result in a thick ‘paste’ which you will use to coat your cauliflower wings.
- Roast cauliflower wings on a prepared baking pan. I cover my baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Coat with buffalo wing sauce and Panko: Continue to cook your roasted buffalo cauliflower a few more minutes until crispy. Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
These cauliflower wings are best served fresh right out of the oven! This is when your panko will be the crispiest. That being said, my husband and I do eat them as leftovers and throughly enjoy them.
I love to serve cauliflower wings with a plant based burger in a bowl with fresh greens and for additional spice some creamy cashew chipotle sauce.
As a game day appetizer, they are perfect served with your favorite plant based ranch dressing or dairy free blue cheese, celery sticks and other crispy vegetables.
How to Store
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing leftovers.
They key is roasting at a high temperature for crispy cauliflower. The oven baked buffalo cauliflower recipe also gets help from both the batter and some crispy Panko breadcrumbs.
To make these vegan buffalo wings less spicy, decrease the amount of buffalo sauce used or add a pinch of agave nectar to the buffalo sauce.
Yes, panko is a crispier breadcrumb and will result in a crispier buffalo cauliflower wing.
Of course! Just use a 1:1 ratio of hot sauce to butter. Use plant based butter to keep these dairy free.
Yes! After breading them, place in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Air fryer at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove, toss with buffalo sauce and serve immediately. Skip adding the Panko for this version.
More Healthy Snacks to Try
Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
- 1 small cauliflower broke into florets
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 2-3 tablespoon gluten free Panko
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and cover a large rimmed baking pan with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- In medium sized bowl, stir together your gluten free flour, almond milk and spices. Your mixture will be a thick paste.
- Add cauliflower florets and toss to coat.
- Spread out cauliflower florets evenly on prepared pan and roast for 30 minutes. Flip cauliflower half way through cooking time.
- After 30 minutes, remove from oven and toss with buffalo sauce. Sprinkle with panko.
- Return to oven and on LOW rack bake 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Serve in a bowl with a scoop of guacamole or your favorite non dairy dressing!
- Buffalo sauce: Make your own by combining hot sauce with butter. Use 1:1 ratio of sauce to butter.
- Use regular flour and Panko if you do not need gluten free.
- Any unsweetened non dairy milk can be used.
- Air fry: In a single layer at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Toss after with buffalo sauce, skip Panko.