This post may contain affiliate links, read our disclosure here.Jump to Recipe
I have always had an obsession with any type of breakfast cereal – it doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold, I love all kinds of cereal. My fondness of breakfast cereal has carried over to this Banana Nut ‘Bread’ 8 Grain Hot Cereal and O seriously could eat it every day. It’s creamy, yet dairy free and it’s perfect for those following a gluten free diet. Switch up your morning oats for this 8 Grain Hot Cereal Breakfast recipe!
Gluten Free 8 Grain Hot Cereal Recipe
This recipe is a perfect change from your everyday oats recipe (although I do love those too -see those recipes here!) This breakfast is ready to eat in 20 minutes or less but tastes like you spend all morning making it! I love making this recipe as breakfast meal prep and it also freezes well. Make a big batch and have breakfast ready for you all week. What a kitchen time saver!
This delicious and nutritious 8 grain cereal blend is gluten free and contains whole grain oats, brown rice, corn, soy beans, millet, sorghum, oat bran, sunflower seeds and flaxseed. I love this brand from Bob’s Red Mill – it’s creamy, yet not extremely chewy and has a great texture.
Ingredients in Banana Nut ‘Bread’ 8 Grain Hot Cereal
This is the best way to make 8 grain hot cereal! It’s naturally sweetened with banana, walnuts add a nice nutty taste and cinnamon makes this sweet. This gluten free breakfast smells so good while it cooks on the stove!
This gluten free hot cereal recipe uses common ingredients such as banana, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Only a few ingredients and you have a tasty breakfast!
I love to top my hot grain cereal with a dollop of dairy free yogurt, coconut chips and rice puffs. Yes I just realized I top a hot cereal with some cold cereal! (Told ya I loved cereal!).
This hot grain cereal makes enough for 2- 3 servings. Share with your loved ones or store in the fridge for up to 3 days. This freezes well too! When you reheat, you may want to stir in some dairy free milk to make it creamier as it does soak up liquid as it sits.
If you make this amazing Banana Nut ‘Bread’ 8 grain hot cereal for breakfast, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Banana Nut ‘Bread’ 8 Grain Hot Cereal Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup 8 grain hot cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 banana , sliced
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- 1 Tablespoon walnuts , chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine water, cereal and salt in medium sized saucepan, stir well and bring to a low boil.
- Add sliced banana, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with a vented lid.*
- Cook covered for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occassionally and adding additional water 1 Tblsp at a time if cereal starts to stick to bottom of pan.
- Cool and eat! Top with coconut chips, chopped almonds, dairy free yogurt, additional cinnamon or more!
- *I find a vented lid is best, otherwise this tends to boil over and make a mess on the stovetop! If you don’t have a vented lid, just leave one corner of the lid at an angle on top of saucepan to let a small amount of heat escape.
- You can also use chopped pecans or hazelnuts