Sweet summer corn, crisp tomatoes and vibrant red onion make this corn and cucumber salad the perfect salad for picnics and gatherings all season long! It’s fresh, flavorful and quick to prepare with a simple dressing in only 15 minutes.
Sweet Summer Corn and Cucumber Salad
With beautiful color and fresh flavor this corn and cucumber salad will be on repeat all summer long! It’s the ultimate summer side dish to serve with any grilled protein or to take along to a picnic.
It’s full of fresh veggies from the garden or farmers market plus brimming with nutritious goodness and loaded with satisfying texture. It’s also naturally vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free!
You will crave this super salad all summer long from 4th of July to Labor Day! Other fresh salads we love include this creamy cucumber, tomato and corn Salad, cucumber tomato avocado salad and cucumber salsa.
Why You Will Love This Summer Salad
- Fresh and flavorful: Seasonal garden ingredients like corn, cucumber and fresh herbs like cilantro add some much delicious flavor to this fresh corn salad!
- Easy to make: This summer corn and cucumber salad is ready in only 15 minutes!
- Crowd pleasing: It will be a favorite at picnics, summer potlucks or cookouts all season long!
- Versatile: Add some beans for protein, avocado for creaminess or tomatoes for additional garden fresh goodness.
Ingredients for Corn Cucumber Salad
- Cucumber: English cucumbers are preferred as they have a thin and tender skin. Garden cucumber can be used but I advise peeling them.
- Sweet corn: Fresh sweet corn from the cob will taste best although frozen corn or canned corn could be used.
- Red onion: You could use white onion or sweet onion. To tone down the red onion for less bite, soak in ice water after slicing.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro.
- Lemon: You will need one fresh lemon. Do not use bottled it will not taste the same in this fresh summer salad.
- Seasonings: Ground cumin, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Try grilled corn for an additional layer of flavor in this corn and cucumber salad.
- Add some diced avocado for a touch of creaminess.
- Instead of cumin and cilantro, try dried basil and fresh parsley or dried oregano and fresh basil.
- Add some cooked chickpeas, black beans or kidney beans for some plant based protein in this summer corn salad.
- Add halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a sweet juicy burst.
How to Make Corn and Cucumber Salad
- Prepare veggies: Cut up the cucumber, red onion, and cilantro, and add to a medium-sized or large bowl.
- Add corn: Add corn to the veggies and gently combine.
- Juice lemon: Juice the lemon into the bowl, add all seasonings, and combine well.
- Taste and serve: Adjust seasonings to taste and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Wait to salt until right before serving so your corn salad recipe doesn’t get too watery.
- Try fresh lime juice or apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice!
- For the best flavor fresh sweet corn from the cob will add the best taste.
- If preferred dice onion and cucumber into evenly sized pieces.
- Add a kick of heat by adding some diced jalapeños.
It would also go well with your favorite burger or this smokey black bean beet burger. Serve it with any of your favorite picnic salads for a spread.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days. The cucumber will start to lose its crispness but it will still be good.
Yes! You can prep it earlier in the day to serve at a summer picnic or barbecue dinner later in the day. Prepping it earlier also allows the flavors to meld together. Keep it chilled until ready to serve.
Yes! Check your packaging to ensure it will not need to be cooked first to kill any potential bacteria. If you do need to heat it, just cool in ice water bath then drain before using it in this corn salad.
More Summer Salads
- Vegan Potato Salad Recipes
- Vegan Strawberry Spinach Salad
- High Protein Vegan Salads
- Wild Rice, Bean and Veggie Salad
Corn and Cucumber Picnic Salad
- 1 cucumber , peeled and diced quarterly
- 2 cups sweet corn , fresh, frozen, grilled or canned
- 1/2 red onion , sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
Optional: Additional fresh cilantro for serving.
- Cut up the cucumber, red onion, and cilantro, and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add corn to the veggies and gently combine. Add more corn if needed.
- Juice the lemon into the bowl, add all seasonings, and combine well.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Canned corn, frozen thawed sweet corn or fresh cooked corn on the cob can be used.
- Diced avocado would also be a great addition to the salad.
- Salad can be a side salad, topping on tacos, or with any grilled protein.
- Store the leftover salad in an air-tight container and refrigerate for 48 hours.