I am in love with this savory creamy coconut curried butternut squash soup! From it’s velvety texture to the creamy cilantro dairy free sour cream, this soup has become a favorite in our household!
Ingredients in Savory Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This vegan soup was the result of menu planning for a get together with friends. On the party food dinner list was a salad with cranberries, so to counter balance that ‘sweet’ side, I wanted something savory.
I really wanted butternut squash soup on the menu! I was looking at our Creamy Butternut Pear Soup and recalling how absolutely delicious that was but the thought of sweet pears was not sitting well with me since I wanted a savory plant based soup.
BUT – What about something curried? With cumin? A sprinkle of cilantro?
That definitely fit the savory angle I wanted in a vegan butternut squash soup! And thus this savory, creamy, velvety butternut squash soup was born! Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Butternut Squash
- Curry Powder
- Ground Chili Powder Paste
- Lite Coconut Milk
- Vegan Sour Cream
This soup is the perfect balance of sweet and savory!
How to Make Creamy Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is well worth the time it takes to make! And I only say ‘time’ because if you have ever cut up any type of winter squash, it is a bit of a workout.
First you will need to peel and cube the butternut squash. Set that aside.
Next chop your onions and celery. Then sautè both of those in a large stockpot on the stovetop! Add in your reserved butternut squash and spices with your vegetable broth and coconut milk. Simmer until all vegetables are tender.
Then using an immersion blender, blend until creamy! You could alternately, blend in your blender, just remember small batches…or you will have an explosion of butternut squash soup.
This soup is really easy to make! You will want to take an extra minute to quickly make the tofu sour cream though! The tofu sour cream is then mixed with minced cilantro…and stirred into this soup it is amazing!
Meal Prep and Freezer Friendly Butternut Squash Soup
I love this winter squash soup as meal prep for busy nights! It is easy to make ahead, reheat and then top with the cilantro sour cream. I love to serve it with vegan gluten free croutons, roasted chickpeas and a fresh salad like our Holiday Salad with roasted beets and candied pecans. I love a savory and sweet combination.
This soup also freezes well! Store in a freezer safe container for 3 months and have a healthy comforting soup dinner ready for a busy night.
I hope you get a chance to make this vegan butternut squash soup. It is savory and perfect for a cozy dinner on a cold night.
Tag at @badtothebowl on Instagram if you make this soup!
Creamy Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 cups butternut squash, cubed (this is the size of a medium to large sized squash)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 – 13.66 oz can
- 1 Tblsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp *
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of
- 2 Tbslp minced fresh cilantro
- In large stock pan over medium heat, vegetable broth or water sautè chopped onion, garlic and celery for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped butternut squash, stir well
- Add in coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup, all spices and chili paste.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender** (see directions below for blender) blend until soup is a creamy consistency – no chunks!
- For cilantro sour cream, stir minced cilantro into sour cream, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve soup in bowls or ‘shot glasses’ with a dollop of sour cream.
**Alternately, you can take small amounts of soup at a time and blend in your blender until smooth. Hot soup expands, so only do small amounts at a time.