Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside, these vegan mashed potato balls are the perfect bite sized finger food for dinner or your next party.
What’s a Mashed Potato Ball?
A vegan mashed potato ball is mashed potatoes formed into a ball then coated with a crunchy topping and then either fried or baked.
They are perfect bite sized potato balls that are great for an appetizer tray or even for little hands because no utensils are required to eat them!
How do I make Mashed Potato Balls?
This recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! I have included directions though on how to make the mashed potatoes if you are starting from scratch though!
For maximum flavor and creamy potato texture, I recommend mashing your potatoes with vegan cream cheese. You will also use dairy free butter and dairy free milk. Garlic and onion powder give your potatoes fantastic taste. Vegan cheddar cheese and minced green onions, take the flavor level to out of this world comfort food land!
After your mashed potatoes are made and then cool enough to handle, you will form the mixture into ‘balls’ and roll each ball in aquafaba then in crunchy cornflake crumbs! I used these for my cornflake crumbs – they are gluten free! If you do not need gluten free, any cornflake cereal brand would work – just be sure to crush the flakes into fine crumbs.
You will then bake the mashed potato balls in the oven until crispy!
Make it a Meal
Pair these vegan mashed potato balls with our veggie burger or red lentil sloppy joes for a complete meal!
If you make these vegan mashed potato balls, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Crispy Vegan Mashed Potato Balls
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 oz dairy free cream cheese
- 2 Tbls dairy free milk
- 1 Tblsp dairy free butter (I like Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup dairy free cheddar (I used Daiya)
- 1 tblsp chopped green onion
- 1 tsp minced dried onion
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt + dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- ¼ cup aquafaba*
- 1 ½ cup
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the potatoes. Beat in cream cheese, milk, butter. Stir in onion powder, garlic powder, minced onion, salt and pepper. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Place aquafaba in shallow dish and cornflake crumbs in a different shallow pan.
- Shape potato mixture into 1 ½ inch balls. Dip potato ball into aquafaba then roll in breadcrumbs. Place on parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes until crisp.