Run. Run. Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Whew, does your life sound like that? Literally what gets me through the day is a chance to sit down with well…a snack like this easy candied popcorn.
To say our fall has been a little hectic, would be a very big understatement. Perhaps it is the season of life I am in? But honestly looking at my calendar just ties my stomach in knots, so I am just avoiding looking at that long ‘must do’ stuff on the calendar and focusing on yummier things…
Like this Easy Candied Popcorn!
Favorite Vegan Desserts
You know that I love popcorn around here. Other than ‘vegan ice cream‘ it is my top favorite snack…or dessert. Or both.
(I know I am usually super healthy, with plant based salads and veggie burgers about 90% of the time. But I do like a little treat every now and then. And that is okay with me!)
Do you remember when I made Candied Eggnog Popcorn last Christmastime? This recipe follows loosely along that same recipe…except we tweaked it a bit to make it even more ‘candied’.
Yep. More candied. It is a thing! Literally, after I made it and it was sticking to my bowl, my counter, my fingers…I laughed and told my husband. I did it. I made this very candied of a popcorn. (but don’t worry about the cleaning, I spritzed it with a water and vinegar spray and it cleaned up super easy!)
The Candied Popcorn Difference
So what makes this version different? Well…I added a bit more sugar and used cream of tartar. I also increased my baking soda which makes the ‘candy’ foamy and thick but then after a few minutes on the popcorn it gets hard like candy! AND this part is important, I kept my air popped popcorn warm in the oven while I made the ‘candied part’. Speaking of air – popped, aka, stovetop popcorn, our friend Rachel at Radical Strength, has a great tutorial on making the perfect stovetop popcorn! Be sure to check that out here.
Another important preference is to use yellow popcorn kernels – not white! Yellow kernels produce a much fluffier popcorn kernel.
I am so excited about this easy candied popcorn!
Now to get it this ‘orange’ color which I thought was super fun for Halloween, I used McCormick’s Color from Nature powders. Just think of the possibilities for every holiday! Red candied for Valentine’s Day. Green and Red for Christmas. Pink for Easter.
Oh! I am so excited to make this easy candied popcorn at every holiday! Or even turn it into a popcorn ball.
If you make this recipe, I would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl so I can crunch and munch with you!
Easy Candied Popcorn
Easy candied popcorn makes a sweet treat for snack time.
Servings: 4 servings
- 12 cups air popped popcorn*
- 1 + 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tblsp agave nectar
- 3 Tblsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- natural food coloring if desired
- Prepare air popped popcorn. Place in 200 degree oven to stay warm.
- Combine granulated sugar, agave nectar, coconut oil, salt and cream of tartar in small saucepan on stovetop.
- Bring to boil.
- Continue to boil until thermometer reaches 250 degrees. DO NOT STIR.
- Take off heat and immediately add baking soda. Stir well.
- If adding color: at this point, divide mixture into as many different bowls you wish to color. Add color and stir well.
- Take warmed popcorn out of oven.
- Pour mixture over your popcorn and stir well to coat popcorn.
- Spread out evenly on on parchment or wax paper lined baking racks.
- Cool completely before storing in containers.