This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our policy here.Jump to Recipe
Vegan can be for everyone! The new vegan cookbook by PBS Celebrity Chef Laura Theodore titled that same name ‘Vegan for Everyone’ is the perfect book for anyone looking to add easy-to-prepare and delicious,
plant-based food into their weekly menu plan. This French Lentil Salad Bowl is the perfect example of how you can add more plant based foods into your dinner routine with only a few kitchen staples.
Vegan For Everyone Cookbook Review
This is a great cookbook for everyone – both those who are vegan already, those who are just veg curious and even omnivores. There are classic recipes made over to be meatless, kid friendly vegan recipes and gluten free plant based recipes. Other highlights:
- 160 + delectable vegan recipes
- Common recipe ingredients found at most local supermarkets
- Over 135 gluten-free friendly recipes
- Detailed lists of vegan essentials, including how to stock your plant-powered pantry and organize your spice rack and table of equivalent measures
- Easy three-ingredient recipes
- Festive recipes for special occasions
- Comprehensive plant-based nutrition chapter
Check out these other recipes from the book:
- Peanut-y Carrot Noodles
- Mad Mocha Marbled Mousse Pie
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blueberry Soup with Lemon Cashew Cream
Vegan French Lentil Salad Bowl Ingredients
I loved how easy and quick this recipe came together with normal pantry ingredients + a few fresh ingredients. Lentils are a great source of protein and I loved the combination of fresh basil with chili powder!
I had to use brown lentils in this recipe vs. ‘green’ french lentils as that is all my store had in stock (hello, covid-19 pantry staple buyers). These were a fine substitute, and if you can only find brown lentils, just keep a close eye on them while cooking, as you don’t want them to turn to mush. Green lentils are sturdier which allows them to hold up better in a salad.
I also had to use fresh basil paste vs. basil, as that is what I had on hand. I do not think the recipe would turn out the same with dried basil, so do use some type of fresh herb. I omitted the oil to keep this oil free and it turned out amazing! Otherwise I made this vegan recipe as is! Here are the ingredients you will need to make French Lentil Salad Bowl with Basil and Sweet Peppers:
- White Onion
- Sweet Red Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Basil
I preferred this vegan salad room temperature, but it is also good cold. This would be a perfect vegan picnic food to share as it makes a lot! If you make this ahead, I advise adding the diced avocado right before serving.
Vegan for Everyone Cookbook Giveaway
The team at Jazzy Vegetarian was kind enough to let us do a cookbook giveaway and I would love for you to win a copy! This giveaway will be open through April 15 and then a winner will be picked via random selection.
If you make this French Lentil Salad Bowl, I would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
French Lentil Salad Bowl + Cookbook Giveaway!
- 4 cups cooked French green lentils, well chilled (see notes)**
- 2/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 medium red sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I omitted this and it still turned out great!)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and gently stir to combine. If you are meal prepping wait right before serving to add your avocado.
- Spoon into deep bowls and serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours and serve cold.