We will keep this short and sweet! Life has been – busy as a mom, as a professional and as a blogger! We have had work trips, spring break trips and spring sports all start recently….along with just general spring fun of 70 degrees one day, snow the next!
We updated our site with a new theme – which I hope you love! BUT that is not without hiccups…and we are still doing clean up. AND I am not complaining but since my job is in digital marketing and I have been working on launching a clients website…well the last thing at the end of the day I feel like doing is working on yet another website! My mind is fried from content, user experience and call to actions…
I would rather get in the kitchen and play or eat…
Like eat these Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Cups!
Healthy Frozen Dessert
What’s not to love about these healthy-ish frozen chocolate cups! They are dairy free, gluten free and pretty darn amazing. Bite size lends a hand to the healthy title – which means yes you can have dessert tonight!
How to Make Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Cups
They are easy to make too – although there is a few crucial steps that do require some prep and freeze time. You need to make and then freeze your chocolate cups first. This is crucial. BUT that step is easy. And you can do a lot else in the meantime while you wait for them to harden in the freezer. Like do your laundry. OR check your Instagram. (just saying – you have options!)
Next you make your frozen peanut butter banana filling which really makes these top notch and gives them the label of healthy dessert – no seriously – we didn’t add any sugar to that filling – so it’s pretty ‘clean’. We also used peanut butter powder which reduces their fat content.
Again – you will need to plan ahead when making the filling. These are made best with frozen bananas. SO PLAN AHEAD.
I love to plan ahead. So I always have banana’s frozen in the freezer- actually the moment you spot that banana going bad on your counter, quick chop it into 3 pieces, freeze it on parchment paper, put it in a bag then label it with 1 banana (or 2, or 3 – you get the drill). This is a huge time saver for making smoothies, nice creams and more.
Add in some peanut butter powder when you blend up those bananas, pour them into your frozen peanut butter cups…re-freeze everything, peel off your mini muffin cup lines and WAHOO! You have an impressive dessert.
And the only way I still have these in my freezer is that my husband hates bananas and my kids have not spotted where they are hidden…so yep, all mine for now. (but I guess I will need to make a banana free version for the hubby…stay tuned).
If you make this, I would love to know. Tag @badtothebowl on social media so we can share your plant based kitchen creation!
Frozen Chocolate Banana Cups
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips , melted
- 3 frozen bananas
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter powder
- 1 Tablespoon dairy free chocolate chips
- Line 9 cups of a mini muffin pan with a paper muffin liner.
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe dish.
- Using a basting brush, brush each paper liner with a thin layer of chocolate, put back in muffin pan after lining with chocolate.
- Freeze until firm (30 – 45 min.)
- Thaw bananas slightly.
- Blend bananas and peanut butter powder until smooth.
- Remove frozen chocolate cups from freezer but leave in muffin pan. Fill each cup with peanut butter banana filling.
- Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
- Freeze until firm (1 – 2 hours)
- Remove from freezer. Peel the paper lining off of each dessert cups.
- Store in freezer safe container in freezer.