I vow to eat more diverse foods! I always say this but then I am not sure where to begin – especially when I am pressed for time that is why I love this Ginger Turmeric Chickpeas recipe! It is fulfilling that goal.
That’s what makes this new cookbook Heavenly Vegan Dals and Curries perfect. It makes eating more diverse, ethnic food easy, affordable and full of flavor. And many of the recipes in the book can be meal prepped which makes them perfect on those busy nights when you are in a rush to get dinner on the table!
If you have not made dals or curries before – don’t let that stop you from picking up this book! If it’s beautiful photography isn’t enough to draw you in – the recipe titles will. Doesn’t Spicy Sweet Potato Curry with Zucchini Fries sound heavenly? I love that this book has sweet and savory recipes that are perfect for dinnertime – and it is perfect for those following a whole foods plant based diet with most recipes following a greens, grains and beans theme.
If you thought plant based eating was plain – think again! Each recipe makes use of Indian spices to give a simple yet complex flavor to each vegan dish. Like these Ginger Turmeric Chickpeas we are sharing here today!
I loved that this Ginger Turmeric Chickpeas recipe used common ingredients already in pantry or fridge for a quick dinnertime meal. This recipe was fresh, vibrant and tasty! I served these Ginger and Turmeric Chickpeas over Jasmine rice one night and then paired with this with a Miso Glazed Sweet Potato bowl another night and it complemented both items very well. This will be a recipe I make again and again!
I have not had the chance to make that many Indian dal’s or curries in my lifetime or in my kitchen so this book will be the perfect addition to solve this!
Check out some of the other recipe titles:
Green Bean Curry
No Butter Dal Makhini
Sweet Chili Coconut Pineapple Curry
Garam Masala Brussels Sprouts
Don’t those all sounds truly delightful? If you make this recipe for Ginger and Turmeric Chickpeas, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Ginger Turmeric Chickpeas
- 1 1/3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 1 inch piece of ginger , cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cherry tomatoes on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, rinse the chickpeas under cold water. Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Once hot, add the onion and the ginger and cook until the onion begins to brown at the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the chickpeas to the onions and ginger and stir to mix. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the turmeric and cumin. Stir the spices into the chickpeas, cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes on low heat. Add the salt and roasted cherry tomatoes and cook for another minute or two.
- Garnish with red onion and cilantro sprinkled on top.
- I omitted all oil and this turned out great!
- Courtesy of: Heavenly Vegan Dals & Curries Cookbook