Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies with Chocolate Eggnog Glaze (V, GF)Course: Breakfast
Healthy ingredients make these a great option for a decadent breakfast!
1 flax egg*
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tblsp pure maple syrup
2 Tblsp molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
3/4 cup baking flour (I used Ryze gluten free flour)
1/2 cup dried fruit** (I used raisins and unsweetened coconut flakes)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp gingerbread spice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Chocolate Eggnog Glaze:
2 – 3 Tblsp dairy free chocolate chips
1 Tblsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or favorite dairy free milk)
pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
a few drops of rum extract***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together your flax egg first, and let it sit while you put together your other ingredients.
- In small bowl, combine all your remaining wet ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine all your dry ingredients.
- Add flax egg to your wet ingredients and stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Drop by heaping spoonful onto parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes****.
- While baking, combine your chocolate glaze. In small microwave bowl, melt chocolate chips in 15 seconds intervals until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. For a thicker glaze, add more chocolate chips. For a thinner glaze, use more almond milk.
- Remove breakfast cookies from oven, drizzle glaze on immediately.
- Cool on wire rack, store in air tight container.
- *for flax egg, follow Minimalist Baker recipe of combining 1 Tblsp ground flax with 2 1/2 Tblsp water and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- **can use any dried fruit, nuts, coconut
- ***can use pure vanilla extract