These grain free pumpkin pie spiced waffles are one of the easiest and best gluten free waffle recipes you’ll find and they are perfect for a vegan breakfast. Crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, brunch time just got a whole lot better.
Ingredients in Grain Free Pumpkin Pie Spiced Waffles
I love that these grain free waffles have normal ingredients and most are pantry staples! The pumpkin pie spices really make these gluten free waffles fantastic especially for a vegan holiday brunch.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Starch or Cornstarch
- Flax egg
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Almond Milk
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Ginger, Nutmeg, Allspice
These grain free waffle ingredients are pantry staples for the most part, and the blueberries on top are optional!
How to Make Almond Flour Waffles
This recipe for vegan, gluten free waffles is easy, but you will need to take note of some resting time for the ingredients!
Your flax egg will need to rest so it becomes gel like in consistency. This helps bind your waffles together. Your almond milk and apple cider vinegar will need to rest to again give some extra binding to your waffle ingredients and flavor. You are essentially making almond milk buttermilk!
After those set, your recipe comes together quickly while your waffle iron preheats and you are well on your way to enjoy delicious grain free waffles for your breakfast!
How to Serve Your Gluten Free Waffles
These waffles are best served fresh! That will be when they are slightly crispy from the waffle iron. You can also reheat and serve, but we would recommend warming them up in your toaster, so they get crispy!
We enjoy serving these dairy free butter, pure maple syrup and frozen thawed blueberries. Yum! Dairy free chocolate chips may be a nice option as well and you could add those right into the batter before placing in the waffle iron.
If you make these vegan grain free waffles, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Grain Free Pumpkin Pie Spiced Waffles
- 1 Flax Egg (1 1/2 Tblsp Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tblsp Water)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup blanched
- ½ cup tapioca starch or ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal and water to make the ‘flax egg’. Set aside for 5 minutes while the mixture thickens.
- In a measuring cup, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and allow this rest until slightly thickened (about 15 minutes, depending on the milk you are using).
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca starch or cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, spices and pinch of salt. Stir gently to combine
- To the dry ingredients, add your almond milk mixture, flax egg, maple syrup, vanilla, and unsweetened applesauce. Whisk just until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter (about 1/4 cup) into the preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown and steam is no longer coming from the waffle iron.
- Serve with pure maple syrup, vegan butter and fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries.
- Store leftovers in refridgerator.