The Hope of Spring in March
When March arrives, and we do have a few things to look forward to besides just the hope of warmer weather.
1. Maple Sugar Season
St. Patrick’s Day and Guinness Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
Ahh, now I get it! Well, since this is vegan, plant based food blog, you won’t find us waiving the consumption of eating meat, but we think this recipe is in a standalone category of acceptable Irish fare all on its own!
Guinness Marinated Portabella Mushrooms (with Crispy Garlic Chickpeas)Course: Main
Guinness marinated mushrooms with asparagus and crispy chickpeas, healthy bowl for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!
2 large portabella mushrooms
1 small sweet onion
1 bunch of asparagus
1/2 cup Guinness Beer
2 Tblsp Soy Sauce or Amino Liquids
1 Tblsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 t. dijon mustard
1/4 t. dried tarragon
1/4 t. dried parsley
1/8 tsp pepper
Additional items: fresh salad greens, roasted sweet potato or squash, avocado slices, balsamic vinegar and garlic roasted chickpeas.
- Slice mushrooms, cut onion into wedges and snap the woody ends off your asparagus stalks. Place all these into a large ziploc bag or large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients.
- Pour over vegetables, zip bag shut and shake to mix really well.
- Place bad in fridge and let sit for a few hours up to 48 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Drain vegetables from marinade and place on grill pan. Grill for 25-30 minutes, stirring at least once so they don’t burn. Alternately, you could roast these in the oven at 425 degrees.
- Place on top of your salad greens (or eat by themselves), top with additional items of choice and enjoy!
- Crispy Garlic Chickpeas:
Preheat oven to 425 degree and line a large baking sheet with foil that is lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Drain and rinse really well 1 can of cooked chickpeas. Use a paper towel to blot them somewhat dry while they are in your colander
- Spread them out on baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and generously with garlic powder.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes stirring once.