While my family does not have maple trees on our property, many neighbors around us do, and it is so fun to see the bags or buckets hanging off the trees collecting sap. My family also enjoys, weather permitting, attending our local Nature Center where they have a whole weekend called the Maple Sugar Festival where they show you how to make maple syrup and you can take walks on the trails with guides and all sorts of maple fun! And really what is better than topping waffles with than REAL maple syrup?
Guinness Marinated Portabella Mushrooms (with Crispy Garlic Chickpeas)Course: Main
Guinness marinated mushrooms with asparagus and crispy chickpeas, healthy bowl for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!
2 large portabella mushrooms
1 small sweet onion
1 bunch of asparagus
1/2 cup Guinness Beer
2 Tblsp Soy Sauce or Amino Liquids
1 Tblsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 t. dijon mustard
1/4 t. dried tarragon
1/4 t. dried parsley
1/8 tsp pepper
Additional items: fresh salad greens, roasted sweet potato or squash, avocado slices, balsamic vinegar and garlic roasted chickpeas.
- Slice mushrooms, cut onion into wedges and snap the woody ends off your asparagus stalks. Place all these into a large ziploc bag or large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients.
- Pour over vegetables, zip bag shut and shake to mix really well.
- Place bad in fridge and let sit for a few hours up to 48 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Drain vegetables from marinade and place on grill pan. Grill for 25-30 minutes, stirring at least once so they don’t burn. Alternately, you could roast these in the oven at 425 degrees.
- Place on top of your salad greens (or eat by themselves), top with additional items of choice and enjoy!
- Crispy Garlic Chickpeas:
Preheat oven to 425 degree and line a large baking sheet with foil that is lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Drain and rinse really well 1 can of cooked chickpeas. Use a paper towel to blot them somewhat dry while they are in your colander
- Spread them out on baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and generously with garlic powder.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes stirring once.