Creamy broccoli risotto with lemon and fresh dill is vegan, dairy free and made in the Instant Pot. I loved using the instant pot for this recipe to keep it very hands off in the kitchen – it’s a no fuss recipe perfect for busy families!
Ingredients in Broccoli Risotto with Lemon
During quarantine, my little sister really embraced cooking at home and texted me one night asking if I had a dairy free risotto recipe on the blog! OOF I didn’t but had wanted to create one for awhile – BUT I hate how tedious it is to make risotto. My patience at the stovetop can be lacking in nature, so I know a normal stovetop risotto was not going to be my jam.
That is why I LOVED making this in the instant pot (here is the Instant Pot I have!) – sauté, set and go. Voilá creamy perfect risotto is done!
With a light lemon taste, fresh dill and broccoli this plant based dish is perfect for a light dinner. Arborio rice is naturally gluten free and the recipe is dairy free – but does not lack in creaminess! You will need:
- Arborio Rice
- Fresh Broccoli
- Fresh Lemon
- Fresh Dill
- Vegetable Stock
- Vegan Butter
- Sweet Onion
This recipe uses mainly fresh ingredients and I don’t advise using dried or frozen! Fresh is key to keeping this risotto flavorful – remember you want a finished vegan dish that seems like you cooked for hours over the stove – when in reality it was made quickly in the instant pot!
How to Serve Instant Pot Risotto
This creamy vegan risotto is the perfect dinner side dish to grilled tofu or vegetables. It would be a great light lunch and it is perfect to make ahead for a busy week.
I ate this vegan broccoli lemon risotto in a bowl (of course) I paired it with grilled asparagus, white beans and creamy avocado dill dressing atop fresh power greens. Find more vegan grilling recipes here that would be great to pair with this rice recipe.
This vegan risotto recipe can be made ahead as well! It keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make this on the weekend for dinner on a busy night or for a quick lunch! You will love this creamy risotto recipe.
If you make this dairy free risotto recipe, tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Instant Pot Broccoli Risotto with Lemon
- 2 cups broccoli , steamed lightly then chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1/2 sweet onion , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast , optional but recommended
- Lightly steam broccoli on the stovetop for 3-4 minutes then set aside.
- In your Instant Pot, press Saute. Add 1 ½ tablespoon of the butter to pot and melt. Once your butter is melted, add in onion and garlic. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add rice and stir for 1-2 minutes to toast.
- Add vegetable stock and remaining butter. Stir well.
- Hit cancel. Secure lid in place, turn valve to Sealing, press Manual and set timer to 7 minutes.
- When the timer is up, turn the valve to Venting to Quick Release. Open the lid and stir well.
- Turn the setting to Saute. Add broccoli, fresh dill, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and zest to the rice. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in nutritional yeast if using then serve.