I love a rice bowl and this one with jasmine rice plus curried vegetables with a miso sauce is a savory dinner idea!
Rice Bowl Inspiration
Have you ever had one of those weeks… Well, I am sure you have! I won’t bore you with the details of my long, busy week, but…I am exhausted!
I actually had these curried vegetables marinating in my refrigerator for days before I got around to actually making this jasmine rice bowl with curried vegetables! Such is life, right? Busy. First it was the weather that stopped me in my tracks from making it. Yes, I could have roasted the vegetables for this, but I really wanted to use the grill. And we are having a super yucky spring in West Michigan. And a girl wants what a girl wants. And I wanted the vegetables for this recipe to be grilled. Then I was super busy, with my day job, kids activities and appointments. So I ate some other yummy food that I had prepped for the week…and even resorted to roasting some of those vegetables…but I longed for this nourishing bowl to be happening in my kitchen. But sometimes, waiting is good? Right? Good things come to those who wait!
Savory Jasmine Rice Really Adds to this Bowl!
Sadly, I cannot take one once of credit for the rice recipe. But you must make it. It is a sticky rice and it is darn delicious. All you need is jasmine rice, lite coconut milk and garlic. I got all fancy and added chopped green onions and cooked carrots. You don’t have to do that. It is still delicious without those colorful vegetable additions. This jasmine rice recipe is from Budget Bytes. Beth at Budget Bytes is an amazing cook and although not vegan, I think we can all learn from a variety of cooks who excel in this field of home cooking. And high five to her site for having a vegan section on it! Go check it out if you are sticking to a budget but still want delicious food on your plate. Find her recipe for the Jasmine rice here– you will need it if you want to take this bowl from average to amazing.
Grilled or Roasted Curried Vegetables
A few weeks ago, I rediscovered the powdered curry spice. It had sat in my cabinet unused for a long time. Jenn from Veggie Inspired, well not to overuse the word or anything, but well she inspired me to unearth the curry spice from my cabinets to make her Roasted Cauliflower with Lentils and Grapes dish. (be sure to check that recipe out in our latest 35 Vegan Main Dish Salads post!) Now I wonder why I forgot about that spice. Such a nice depth of flavor! You will need it for this dish. It is used to marinate the vegetables. It adds flavor to them – all without using any oil!
Miso Ginger Sauce
What is a good nourish bowl without a sauce? You know I love my bowls complimented by a good sauce (check out our Spicy Garlic Tahini, it is not too spicy but just right!) This sauce is also a must for completing the Jasmine Rice Bowl with Curried Vegetables. It just ties it all in together. It is Oil Free. Healthy. Flavorful! You will need miso, chili paste, cumin, turmeric and ginger. You can find all these usually in your local grocery store either in the spice or ethnic food aisles. The only thing I can’t ever seem to find in our local larger grocer is white miso! But luckily, Amazon always has it. I like this brand: Hikari Organic Miso Paste. It is around $10 – which may seem pricey – but it lasts for a very long time as you will only need to use a pinch here, a Tablespoon there etc. So let’s get to putting together this nourish bowl, shall we?
If you make this rice bowl, tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Jasmine Rice Bowl with Curried Vegetables
- from Budget Bytes After cooking, add in chopped green onions (optional)
Curried Roasted Vegetables
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, broke into florets
- 1 small head of broccoli, broke into florets
- 1 jalapeño ,sliced (or small green pepper)
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tblsp amino liquids or tamari
- 1 Tblsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 Tblsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tblsp
- 1 Tblsp amino liquids or gluten free tamari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t. chili paste
- 1/4 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. ground turmeric
- 1/4 t. ground ginger
- Additional items: fresh salad greens or spinach, avocado slices, roasted edamame, chickpeas or .
- Prep ahead your jasmine rice. Follow Budget Byte directions and add in green onions and carrots, optional.
- Marinate your vegetables – chop all vegetables. Place in large bowl or reusable bag. Add in all spices. Marinate for 30 minutes or a few days!
- Make your sauce. In small bowl, combine all ingredients except water. Slowly add in warm water and whisk together until combined.
- Set grill to medium heat*(see below for roasting directions). Grill your vegetables in grill basket for 30 – 40 minutes.**
- Combine your bowl! Add to a bowl your fresh salad greens, your cooked vegetables, prepared rice and any other additions you would like – we love cooked sweet potato and roasted edamame!