Who else loves their slow cooker? This Vegan Kung Pao is perfect for a crockpot meal.
Kung Pao from the Vegan Slow Cooker Cookbook
Reprinted from The Vegan Slow Cooker, Revised and Expanded By Kathy Hester, published by Fair Winds Press
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (8 g) grated ginger
1½ cups (355 ml) water
¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce (**gluten free – use coconut aminos)
¼ cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar or plain rice vinegar mixed with 1 teaspoon sweetener
2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken flavored bouillon or 4 tablespoons (24 g) DIY Golden Bouillon (page 237 of cookbook)
¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bell pepper, cored and diced
5 ounces (140 g) mushrooms, diced
1 can (8 ounces, or 225 g) water chestnuts, drained and diced
1 package (12ounces, or 335 g) seitan, store bought or homemade (page 238 of cookbook), diced (*sub 1½ cups chickpeas, cauliflower florets, or pressed tofu)
2 to 3 tablespoons (16 to 24 g) cornstarch
2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil (*** leave out to make oil free)
Steamed rice, for serving
Chopped peanuts, for serving
- Make sauce the night before: Combine all the sauce ingredients (garlic through red pepper flakes) and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Store the cut up bell pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan (or substitutes) in an airtight container in the fridge.
- In the morning: Combine the sauce, pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving: Turn up slow cooker to high. Make a thickener by mixing the cornstarch with some of the cooled sauce from the slow cooker in a small cup, then add it back to the slow cooker.
- Right before serving, stir in the sesame oil. Serve over steamed rice, and top with the peanuts.
- Yield: 4 servings
Equipment: 4 quart slow cooker
Cooking time: 7 to 9 hours on low