I live in a more rural area of West Michigan. There are some downsides to this BUT in summer, the glory of living in a rural area comes out to shine in full force.
- quiet nights of star gazing
- long walks and bike rides on dirt roads
- lake life
- pop up farm stands everywhere!
I love the pop up farm stands. Sometimes, they are just neighbors selling garden produce. Other times, it’s the same farmer selling that awesome corn that you get every year. It’s always a good deal (even have came across FREE before!)
Two things these farms are though are FRESH and DELICIOUS.
Summertime shines in West Michigan. And this is my favorite season when freshness takes center stage!
These wax beans I picked up to make a salad to take over to a friend’s for a cookout. It was a great night of good food, a campfire and excited kids catching fireflies. You could also use green beans like our Bourbon Maple Glazed Green Beans, but the yellow just adds a colorful touch, agreed?
Enjoy! If you make this, we would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Lemon Basil Wax Beans with Chickpeas
Fresh, lemony and basil lend to a delicious bean dish that could be ate hot or cold!
- 1 lb. trimmed wax beans*
- 9 – 10 (a handful) of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup of chickpeas (if canned, rinse well)
- 18 basil leaves, chopped (mine were all different sizes, use more or less depending on your taste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tblsp minced red onion
- 1 Tblsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Steam trimmed beans until tender. Drain. Place in bowl.
- Add chopped basil, tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Whisk remaining ingredients in small bowl.
- Pour over bean mixture and toss gently.