Who’s ready for an awesome one pot quinoa recipe full of Mexican flavor?
Me! Me! Me!
Oh, you too?
I suppose I can share.
‘Cause this red quinoa with southwest flavor is pretty awesome.
And it will be your go to Mexican quinoa. It’s that good.
The Many Ways to Use Mexican One Pot Red Quinoa
1. Party Food
Anyone getting ready to throw down the ultimate Super Bowl Party? Okay, honestly, I am not into football. I did attend some good parties back in the pre-kid day though! They were always fun, what can I say? I love to be social with friends! And where more to do that in the middle of winter than at a Super Bowl Party!
After kids and moving into a remote area, Super Bowl partying went by the wayside. We need sleep and now it is a school night! I always stay up for the half time show. And then there was the time we were gifted a bunch of NFL teeny football helmets. We might have dressed the Barbies up as football fans. Just sayin’…you get creative when you are parents!
Anyways – I digress into my well of memories…
BUT – all that to say, if I were to NOW throw a super Super Bowl party. It would include this quinoa! Because there are so many ways you can serve….
- Taco Filling
- Salad Topper
- Nacho Addition
- Scoop it! (‘ya know with those tortilla scoops…)
2. Main Dish
Quinoa is full of protein + this Mexican one pot red quinoa has additional black beans – meaning this can truly be a one pot vegan meal! It’s filling. It has the right amount of spice. And there are other veggies in it! Touchdown for less dishes.
3. In Your Salad Bowl
Okay, you knew that was coming right? You know we are all about salad bowl eating here at Bad to the Bowl. This Mexican one pot quinoa is amazing when you put it atop some fresh salad greens! Add some salsa, fresh guacamole and some roasted chipotle veggies – and you will be in heaven. Believe me you will need a fork and spoon to eat that bowl of veggie plant based goodness.
Your Turn! How Will You Devour this Plant Based Dish?
We would love to see how you eat this Mexican one pot red quinoa. Do you scoop it? Use it in tacos? Add it to salads? Use in your nachos? Tag us on social @badtothebowl, we would love to see it!
Oh and one more thing – this plant based recipe makes enough to feed a crowd. So it’s perfect for a party OR for meal prep. It freezes well too! Just portion up in small containers and thaw when you need it! (love that!)
Mexican One Pot Red Quinoa
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. ancho chili powder*
- 1/2 t. smoked paprika
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 Tblsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Water sauté jalapeño, red pepper, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add in quinoa, your drained and rinsed black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth stir well.
- Add in all your spices – chili powder, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and peppers.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn stove down to low, put a lid on skillet and simmer for 20 minutes. (keep on eye on it! I like to stir it at about 12 minutes, then at 15 minutes check to see if I need to add more water).
- After 20 minutes, check to see if done. Your quinoa should appear ‘pearly’.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro!