These oil free roasted vegetables with dairy free lemon cream sauce will make sticking to your whole food plant based goals easy!
How to Oil Free Roasted Vegetables
It took me a few tries to figure out how to roast your vegetables (or even grill vegetables) without using any oil. Once you start to use less oil though, you will notice that you do not miss it, though!
I talked about this oil free method recently in our Roasted Cauliflower with Chipotle Coconut Cream recipe – if you don’t use oil you need to use another ‘wet’ ingredient! I have found that vegetable broth works very well! And another bonus of using vegetable broth is you can cut down or omit adding salt.
In this recipe, though, I tried a different method. I tossed the vegetables with some white wine vinegar and a splash of amino acids. The result (drumroll please) it worked! You get flavor depth from the white wine vinegar and amino acids and it is OIL FREE!
If you are worried about your vegetables sticking to the pan, use parchment paper or a non stick silicone mat. I use these silpat mats and then I spray them lightly with cooking spray (I know that is oil, but use lightly).
Dairy Free Lemon Cream Sauce
So why a lemon cream? It’s winter. And it’s cold and often gray skies. I felt like I needed something warm and cheery! Plus, Brussel sprouts have been on sale the last few weeks at the grocery store and lemon and Brussel sprouts pair really well together. (or at least they do to me!)
Do you like tart? I will say I am a mild tart fan. My little girl will just eat lemon slices by themselves! WOW. A little too much tart for my taste. But everyone is different. If you love tart like my daughter, feel free to omit the maple syrup. If you really dislike tart, add another teaspoon of maple syrup. That is a the great thing about a sauce, you can always tweak it to make it ‘your own’.
To keep this dairy free sauce, creamy, I used a lite coconut milk. It adds a level of flavor depth while making the sauce creamy! And because I used such a small amount, you will not get an overly coconut taste.
Use your leftover coconut milk in these recipes:
- Easy Chickpea Cauliflower Coconut Curry
- Easy One-Pan Red Curry with Spinach and Carrots + The Vegan 8 Cookbook Review
Discover More Oil Free Recipes
Check out these other dairy free, vegan oil free recipes!
So let’s dig in, shall we? If you make this lemon cream sauce, I would love to know tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Oil Free Roasted Vegetables with Easy Lemon Cream Sauce
Oil Free Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Vegetables , Brussel sprouts, sliced summer squash, red onion, portobello mushrooms and butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon amino acids , or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Montreal chicken seasoning
- 1 garlic clove , minced
Easy Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- pinch of white pepper
- Avocado Slices
- Fresh Spinach or Power Greens
- Oil Free Roasted Vegetables
- Lemon Cream Sauce
Oil Free Roasted Vegetables
- Roast Vegetables: Toss halved brussels sprouts, sliced summer squash, red onion, portobello slices and butternut squash with the splash of white wine vinegar, amino acids, garlic cloves and some . Then on a parchment lined baking pan, roast at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes depending on the level of done you like your vegetables. Stir halfway through!
Lemon Cream Sauce
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch to a small mason jar or small bowl. Slowly whisk in cornstarch. Pour mixture into a saucepan on stove and heat on low, whisking constantly to remove cornstarch clumps until thickened. Immediately remove when done and serve warm with vegetables.
Put the Bowl Together
- Serving options: serve roasted vegetables as a side dish with a drizzle of the lemon cream or fill a bowl with fresh spinach, add your vegetables, avocado slices and chickpeas then top with a drizzle of the sauce.