Molasses. Do you like it?
To me, it always reminds me of days gone by. Let me explain! I can imagine in my mind, the Little House on the Prairie family making this at wintertime over an open hearth and then packaging it up all fancy for neighbors, friends and family.
Yes, you do. It is super yummy. I know, I have gone on and on about my love of popcorn before so I won’t bore you with those details again.
The molasses adds a nice strong flavor that balances with the caramel. A hint of cinnamon lingers on the tongue after consuming for an out of this world popcorn taste experience.
Okay, I take my popcorn seriously round here at Bad to the Bowl! It is my guilty vegan dessert pleasure.
Let’s get popping!
If you make this, I would love to know. Tag @badtothebowl on social media so we can drool over your popcorn pictures.
Old Fashioned Molasses Caramel CornCourse: Dessert
A sweet treat reminiscent of bygone days.
3/4 cup un popped popcorn (this equals 14 cups popped popcorn)
1/4 cup coconut oil*
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pop popcorn in large stovetop pan and then place in large bowl. Do not use microwave popcorn!
- Combine coconut oil, molasses and dark brown sugar in small saucepan on stovetop over low heat. Stir in salt and cinnamon. Bring to boil and boil for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in soda and extract – it will bubble!
- Quickly pour over your reserved popcorn and stir to combine.
- Spread on parchment lined pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour – stir every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven to wire racks to cool.
- Store in airtight containers.
- *do not use vegan butter, coconut oil produces a crispier, crunchier popcorn.