Merry Almost Christmas! Are you ready? I was feeling really stressed up until about 9:30 p.m. last night. But I think it was mainly due to my kitchen being an absolute mess! We had a busy day of wrapping up kid’s activities and my counter space was a disaster area from putting together neighbor goodie jars, dinner and meal prep for an upcoming busy weekend. But some teamwork with the husband got it back in shape and clean in about an hour. Which is perfect so I could prep this gluten free Rum Raisin Buckwheat hot cereal for breakfast!
Huge sigh of relief.
Anyone else get like that? i.e. When life is a bit too busy, if you can just control one area and make it nice, then the rest of life doesn’t seem so crazy?!
Rum Raisin Buckwheat Hot Cereal
Do you recall a few weeks ago when I made the Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies with the Chocolate Eggnog Glaze? The Chocolate Eggnog Glaze in that recipe has rum extract and I knew I wanted to try to make another breakfast item with that extract. It just sounded perfect for hot cereal!
Rum + Raisin
This is a delicious combo! The rum extract pairs perfect with raisins for a breakfast combo that is sweet by nature and has a delicious caramel, oak and vanilla aftertaste.
Rum Raisin Buckwheat Hot CerealCourse: Breakfast
Buckwheat hot cereal is a great alternative to oatmeal for breakfast!
1 cup buckwheat groats*
2 cups water
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk**
1/4 cup raisins
1 Tblsp agave syrup
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/4 tsp salt
- Combine rinsed or soaked/rinsed buckwheat groats, water, raisins, agave, rum extract and salt in medium size saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover (I like to leave the lid just a pinch open to vent so the liquid doesn’t spill all over the stovetop).
- Cook on low for 20 minutes, stirring a few times to the groats don’t burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Add unsweetened almond milk and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Top with favorite toppings! I love a dollop of dairy free vanilla yogurt, pecans and coconut chips.
- *I soaked mine overnight – I think this makes them creamier.
- **You can substitute your favorite dairy free milk.