Savory sweet potato and carrot soup is colorful and delicious! Perfect for an easy vegan weeknight dinner or plant based holiday soup course.
Ingredients in Savory Sweet Potato Carrot Soup
This soup is so vibrant in color it is a feast for the eyes first! Carrots and sweet potatoes are both root vegetables and high in beta carotene. The human body converts beta carotene into vitamin A (retinol). We need vitamin A for healthy skin , our immune system, and good eye health and vision. No wonder soup is so good for us to consumer during cold and flu season!
This plant based soup has a simple ingredient list which makes it a perfect weeknight dinner. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Maple Syrup
- Lemon Juice
A simple list for a vibrant carrot and sweet potato soup that is full of nutrients and delicious! You can also optionally top this soup with a few walnuts or crispy chickpeas. I love adding crunchy toppings to puréed soups to give it extra pizzazz.
How to Make This Savory Plant Based Soup
This soup is super easy to make! Chop your vegetables, place them in a stock pot on the stove with vegetable broth, simmer until tender then purée.
This soup is great for meal prep. There are two plant based meal prep options you could do to get this ready for an easy vegan dinner.
Option 1: Prep all your vegetables ahead of time. Chop your sweet potato, carrots, onion and celery then store those in the refrigerator. When it is time to make dinner all your chopping prep work is done and you can proceed with the remainder of the recipe.
Option 2: Meal prep the recipe from start to finish! This vegan soup is very easy to make ahead on the weekend and store in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to eat it.
How to Serve Your Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
We hope you get a chance to make this delicious, colorful soup! Tag @badtothebowl on social media. We would love to know!
Savory Sweet Potato Carrot SoupCourse: Main Dish, Soup BowlCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 Sweet Potatoes
4 carrots (med sized)
¼ cup diced celery
½ medium sized onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups vegetable broth
¼ t. Salt
¼ t. Pepper
¼ tsp thyme
¼ tsp rosemary
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp maple syrup
optional: chopped walnuts, dried cranberries or crispy chickpeas
- Chop sweet potatoes and carrots into similar sized pieces.
- Dice celery and dice onion.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, onion and celery to stockpot and add vegetable broth. Cook until veggies are soft 25-30 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in blender or use immersion blender. Add puree back into stockpot, stir in spices, lemon juice and maple syrup. Heat back up if enjoying now or cool to eat later. Can also be frozen!
- A sprinkle of walnuts, dried cranberries or crispy chickpeas are delicious to sprinkle on top of the soup. Gluten free croutons also make a nice crunchy topping!