- Texas BBQ Brisket BBQ
- Jerk Chick’n Steak on a Stick
- Smoky Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Coconut Bacon
Smoky Chipotle BBQ Black Bean Burger +[Great Vegan BBQ without a Grill Cookbook Review]Course: Main
Black bean burger full of chipotle taste!
Smoky Chipotle BBQ Black Bean Burger
½ cup (120 ml) Have-It-Your-Way Chipotle BBQ sauce (recipe below), divided
3 tsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive, divided*
1 small white onion, finely diced
3 tbsp (32 g) seeded, chopped poblano pepper
2 (15-oz [425-g]) cans black beans, divided (reserve liquid)
½ cup (86 g) yellow cornmeal
½ cup (45 g) oat flour
3 tbsp (45 ml) aquafaba
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
additional items: hamburger buns, Lettuce
Vegan cheese, Vegan Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (recipe in cookbook) or store bought
Have it Your Way Chipotle BBQ Sauce
1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 Tblsp warm water
2 cups canned tomato sauce
4 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tblsp dark molasses
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 to 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper (see note)
1/2 tsp ground pepper (see notes)
- Make the Have-it-Your-Way Chipotle BBQ Sauce if you don’t already have some on hand (see step 8).
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium skillet on medium heat**. Add the onion and poblano pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans (reserve the liquid) and rinse well. Put 2¼ cups (140 g) of the beans in a food processor and pulse until they’re creamy. Scrape the beans into a mixing bowl and add the remaining whole beans. Add the onion and peppers, cornmeal, oat flour, aquafaba, 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of BBQ sauce, salt and pepper to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Scoop a ½ cup (120 ml) of the black bean mixture from the bowl and form into a patty. Continue making patties with the rest of the mixture. Brush a liberal layer of the BBQ sauce on both sides of the burgers.
- 5. Heat a grill pan or a skillet on medium-high heat and brush with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of oil. 6. Place the burgers in the pan, cover and cook for approximately 5 to 7 minutes, gently flip and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Even though these burgers hold together well, they’re still veggie burgers, and can break apart if you are too rough while flipping.
- Put the lettuce on the buns and top with your toppings of choice! Or enjoy Bad to the Bowl style in a vegan bowl!
- Have it Your Way BBQ Sauce
- In small bowl whisk cornstarch and water together until smooth and creamy.
- Pour tomato sauce into small saucepan on stove and add garlic, apple cider vinegar, molasses, salt, sugar, onion powder, cumin, chipotle pepper and pepper.
- Bring to boil. As soon as sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Add cornstarch mixture and whisk until thickens. Cook another 5 – 8 minutes.
- Store in fridge in air tight container up to two week.
*if you are omitting oil, instead of frying you could alternately bake in the oven, but they won’t be as crisp
**if you are omitting oil, water or veggie broth sauté
- Note: Add chipotle pepper and black pepper by 1/4 t. at a time to get desired amount of heat for your tastebuds.