Southwest Rice Bowl with Roasted VeggiesCourse: Main
Easy nourish bowl is full of southwest flavor including rice, beans and vegetables.
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 summer squash, sliced
1/2 jalapeño, sliced 2 garlic cloves
1 Tblsp lime juice
1 Tblsp soy sauce (or amino liquids)
1/2 Tbslp vegetable broth
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp pepper
1 rice packet (Minute Maid Multi-Grain Medley)*
1 cup water
1/2 tsp vegetable stock base=
1-15 oz. can light red kidney beans
3 Tblsp chopped cilantro
4 – 6 green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
squeeze of lime juice
Other items: fresh lettuce, salsa, guacamole, tortilla strips
- Add all vegetables to large bowl and toss with garlic, lime, soy sauce, vegetable broth and spices. If they seem dry, add a little more vegetable broth.
- Marinate for 30 minutes to a few hours, or immediately roast at 425 degrees on parchment lined baking pan for 30 – 40 – minutes (alternately, you can grill these on medium heat)
- Make your rice by placing rice, water and vegetable base in small saucepan. Bring to boil, turn to low and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes
- Place rice in bowl and toss with beans, cilantro, green onions and spices.
- Place fresh greens in salad bowl. Add roasted vegetables, rice/bean mixture and top with desired toppings!
- you could use your favorite brand of brown rice or other preferred rice blend – use 1 cup