This easy tofu scramble with fresh spinach is bright, colorful and adds a touch of protein to your next vegan breakfast or plant based brunch. Made with a block of tofu and simple seasonings, it’s the best way to start the day!
If you love scrambled eggs and miss having them, this easy tofu scramble is a great option! They are great for breakfast, brunch or even a simple dinner or lunch.
It’s really simple, basically foolproof and so easy to customize with whatever add-in’s you would add to scrambled eggs. While I won’t pretend they are real scrambled eggs, if you love tofu, you need to try these tofu eggs!
Why This is the Best Tofu Scramble Recipe
- Easy and quick: These vegan ‘scrambled’ eggs take less than 10 ingredients and are ready in less than 30 minutes!
- Delicious and customizable: The seasonings add great taste to this easy scramble with tofu. Customize the spices how you like and add more veggies if you wish!
- Healthy: Made with just tofu, spinach and seasonings these vegan ‘eggs’ are a complete source of protein, low in calories and with spinach the dish is also full of fiber, vitamins and nutrients.
- Great for all occasions: This is such a simple vegan breakfast idea! Perfect for a busy holiday morning or a lazy weekend brunch.
This tofu and spinach scramble will become your next go to easy vegan breakfast! We love making this easy scramble that contains no eggs for brunch or even brinner (breakfast dinner!).
Here are the ingredients you will need for this easy vegan tofu scramble:
- Firm Tofu: I like firm tofu but feel free to use extra firm tofu. I like to press mine lightly but you don’t need to.
- Nutritional Yeast: Adds a slight cheesy taste.
- Turmeric powder: This spice gives the tofu scramble that eggy-y yellow look! It doesn’t add much taste but the color is spot on.
- Garlic powder: Adds savory taste.
- Onion powder: For taste.
- Kala namak (black salt): This will take your tofu scramble from good to the best and give it an ‘eggy’ taste. One taste and you will see why!
- Unsweetened almond milk: I like how the almond milk gives the vegan eggs a creamier texture.
- Fresh Spinach: Fresh baby spinach or regular chopped spinach.
While I love the simple ingredients for an easy breakfast feel free to customize these vegan ‘eggs’ how you like!
- Vegetables: Sauteed onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, anything you might put in an egg scramble works with this tofu version.
- Spice: Like spicy eggs? Try some hot sauce, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Cheese: Your favorite non-dairy cheese shreds will make this a cheesy tofu egg breakfast.
How to Make Tofu Scramble
For this tofu recipe, you don’t have to press your tofu, but I like too for about 20-30 minutes! Since we are adding in a splash of almond milk, just a light press is all you need.
- Press: First, press your tofu lightly to remove excess liquid. This also helps dry it a bit.
- Break into small pieces: Place tofu in skillet over medium heat and using a spatula break it into small pieces.
- Cook: Add your nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder and black salt. Last, add your almond milk and stir for about 5-7 minutes to scramble and combine.
- Add spinach and serve: Last add your fresh spinach, stir until spinach is just wilted and then serve.
You can use this simple tofu scramble in so many different ways! Wrap it up with salsa for a vegan breakfast burrito. Serve it on toast with avocado for a protein packed avocado toast. There are so many ways to pair it!
Our favorite way to serve this is with our pumpkin pie spiced grain free waffles and easy vegan home fries for a full breakfast spread or brinner. A brinner is when you serve breakfast at dinner!
Another great option for a simple breakfast is to serve it with these vegan almond flour banana muffins.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Leftovers of this recipe can be store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days.
Reheat: Reheat your scramble either on the stovetop until warmed through or in 30 seconds increments in the microwave stirring after each interval until warm. Add a splash of plant based milk if needed.
I prefer firm tofu, but extra firm could also be used. There is no need to press your tofu as the water just cooks out but you can if you like.
Yes! Similar to scrambled eggs it’s a great source of not only a lean but complete protein plus is low in saturated fat and calories.
There are so many vegetables that would go great with a simple tofu scramble! Sautéed sliced mushrooms, chopped kale, chopped broccoli florets, diced bell pepper, diced or diced tomatoes. For most vegetables other than leafy greens it is best if you saute them separately before adding to the scramble.
It’s best to eat your leftovers within three days.
More Tofu Recipes To Try
- Chinese Tofu Salad
- Vegan Chili Fries
- Grilled Vegetable Buddha Bowl with Crispy Tofu
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Easy Spinach Tofu Scramble
- 14-16 ounces 14-16 oz package Firm Tofu
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Lightly press tofu to remove excess water for 20 minutes or less.
- In medium sized skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat, place tofu and break into small chunks with spatula. Add in nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, black salt and almond milk.
- Stir and cook 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add in spinach, stir to combine until spinach is just wilted.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
nutritional yeast and black salt amounts are not included in the ingredients list.
Sorry about that, it is corrected! Enjoy.