When life gives you failed vegan jalapeño popper filling, you make tortilla soup!
But that is okay. Because we now have this delicious vegan tortilla soup, which got rave reviews from both me and my husband!
Tortilla Soup (V, GF, DF)Course: Soups
Bursting with flavor this soup is perfect for nights when you need both comfort and warmth!
1 & 1/2 cup no salt added cooked black beans*
1 – 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
2 – 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
1 – 4 oz can diced green chilis
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tub vegan cream cheese
1 jalapeño diced
1 cup green pepper, diced
1 cup white onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper**
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
2 corn tortillas
- In large stock pot, water sauté jalapeño, green pepper, onion and garlic cloves. Add cream cheese, diced tomatoes with green chilis, green chilis and petite diced tomatoes. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- Add vegetable broth, black beans and all spices. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil. And simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove 1 – 1/2 cups of mixture and place in a blender. Blend with your two tortillas until pureéd consistency.
- Add purée back to stock pot with corn. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for another 20-30 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Served topped with tortilla strips, vegan sour cream and cilantro! A splash of lime, sliced avocado or guacamole may also be nice additions.
We also threw some cooked, diced sweet potato into it. Note, I did not include potato in the recipe as I wanted the leftover soup to go in the freezer and potatoes do not freeze well. (they get very mushy!).
- *You could alternately use 2 – 15 oz cans of no salt added black beans, you may want to add another 1/2 cup of vegetable broth if you do this!
- **adjust to your level of spiciness