Moist and delicious cinnamon sugar zucchini bread is a treat that everyone will love and your kids will never know they are eating a vegetable. This bread is egg free and dairy free and tastes like a warm piece of sugar and cinnamon bread! No one will ever know the secret to it being so moist is actually fresh from the garden zucchini.
Ingredients in Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread
I started making quick breads that contained vegetables when my son was a toddler. This was an attempt to get him to eat more veggies! Today he is a huge quick bread fan. He devours muffins when I make them and I don’t think I have ever seen him pass up a piece of homemade bread. Don’t even get him started on the merits of wrapped vs. unwrapped bread in the bread aisle at the store (and did I mention he is only 10?).
Whenever I am recipe testing a bread or muffin he is my go to taste tester. I know if it passes his taste test, we have a winner! (seriously, my husband will eat anything and my daughter somehow missed the quick bread love gene). This cinnamon sugar zucchini bread passed his taste test on the first round! I must admit, I was a little nervous as he took his first bite…would he like it? A huge smile emerged after his first bite and I know this vegan bread recipe was good to go!
Why use zucchini in bread?
You can’t really taste the zucchini, so what does the zucchini add? It adds moisture and a dose of nutrients! It is also a great way to use zucchini that grew to big in your garden (it happens).
Zucchini is high in Vitamin A and C and is rich in antioxidants! The highest level of antioxidants are found in the skin which is great news for zucchini bread fans as you don’t peel zucchini for zucchini bread, but instead use the whole zucchini, skin and all!
Ingredients in Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread
As with most quick breads, while the ingredient list might look long, it is very simple to put together with baking staples that you probably already have on hand in your pantry! Here are the ingredients that are used in vegan cinnamon sugar zucchini bread.
- Vegetable Oil
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Flaxseed Egg
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
This quick bread is egg free and dairy free! It is not gluten free and I have not tested it with gluten free flour. If you need a gluten free option, check out our pumpkin banana gluten free muffins!
This quick vegan bread is on the sweeter side, as is the case with most sweet breads. It contains both white sugar and oil, so I would not consider it truly plant based. BUT remember you are also eating a nutritious vegetable that is in the bread, so really it evens out, no? If you are sticking to a whole foods, plant based diet, this bread may not be for you unless you are adding back in the occasional vegan dessert.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread
This quick bread is very easy to make! First you will need to make your flaxseed egg. This is important as your flaxseed egg needs to ‘sit’ for at least 5 minutes to obtain a gel like consistency.
While you wait for your flaxseed egg to ‘gel’, prep your zucchini! I find it easiest to pulse my zucchini in my food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate your zucchini on a cheese grater. You want your zucchini shredded but not so shredded that it is watery. If you use your food processor be sure to pulse lightly.
Next, add your sugar and zucchini to a mixing bowl and cream them together. Add in vanilla extract. Stir in your flaxseed egg.
In a separate bowl stir together your flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add your flour mixture alternately with shredded zucchini into the creamed mixture.
Pour into prepared loaf pans and you are ready to bake!
How to Serve and Store Zucchini Bread
Serving Zucchini Bread
This bread is great as is fresh out of the oven! No dairy free butter is even needed as this bread is very moist and delicious.
My family loves to eat a slice at a breakfast and then again for snack! For breakfast I also serve it with dairy free yogurt and fruit.
Storing Zucchini Bread
This bread is best ate fresh. To maintain freshness, store it in a covered container on your countertop away from direct sunlight. If this bread is not ate within 3 days, store in the refrigerator.
This bread can be made ahead and frozen! After bread cools, wrap in freezer safe plastic wrap, place in freezer safe bag and place in freezer.
If you love muffins and quick breads be sure to check out these other recipes:
I would love to know if you try this Zucchini Bread! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread
- 1 Tblsp
- 2.5 Tblsp filtered water
Cinnamon Sugar Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup shredded zucchini
Cinnamon Sugar Topping (optional)
- 1/2 Tblsp pure cane granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 with cooking spray and dust with flour. This will ensure they will easily come out of pan after baking.
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg by stirring together flaxseed meal and filtered water.
- Shred your zucchini with either a cheese grater or pulse lightly in your food processor. Be careful not to shred too much or you will end up with watery zucchini shreds.
- Cream oil, sugar and applesauce in mixer on medium speed. Add vanilla and flax egg.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Alternately stir in flour mixture and zucchini shreds with liquid sugar mixture.
- Pour batter evenly into the 2 prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick near center comes out clean. Remove from oven, let rest in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen, invert pans and remove bread from pans. Turn right side up to cool. Cool on wire racks. Store out of direct sunlight on countertop for up to 3 days or in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- This bread can be made and then frozen! After bread cools down, wrap tightly in freezer safe wrap, place in a labeled freezer safe bag. When ready to eat, remove and thaw.