It was a cold autumn night and we had peppers from a garden harvest on the counter. I wanted soup but I wanted it to be heartier than a broth based soup because I was hungry! That is my brainstorming on how this recipe for vegan one pot unstuffed peppers with rice came about! It’s not really soup and it’s definitely not your traditional stew. It makes a fantastic vegan dinner and it’s all made in one pot!
One Pot Dinners Rule the Kitchen
If you have noticed on our blog lately we have a sort of theme going on for this fall. It was unintentional but is totally fitting for this time of life our family is in. We have recently published vegan food posts related to:
So why the easy meals? Our season of life right now is busy! I am okay with that, but it means setting aside less time for other things – like long dinners. We have cheerleading, piano, tumbling and both full time jobs for my husband and myself. Add to that fall family birthdays and general fall activities and chores, life has been a bit of a whirlwind. So one pot dinners and easy meals have took over! I am not one to sacrifice taste, though, so I am happy to say that we are still cooking plant based, healthy meals with fresh ingredients – using all of the above resources I just listed!
One Pot Unstuffed Peppers with Rice
For this recipe I did happen to be at home on a Friday night – the kids had friends over for sleepovers and were busy entertaining – so I got a chance to tinker in the kitchen, which I loved! As I mentioned above it was a cold fall evening, so the thought of a ‘hot dinner’ that was ate in a bowl was super appealing.
For this recipe, you will need fresh peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, spices and white rice. All pantry staples! This recipe also calls for meatless crumbles, but if you are opposed to using soy or ‘fake meat’, you could omit them or substitute another can of black beans. I love how this vegan dinner idea combines fresh ingredients with pantry staples. So while this does take time to simmer on the stovetop, it comes together quickly with not a whole lot of effort.
I love to top my unstuffed peppers with fresh cilantro and vegan cheddar cheese! Again you don’t have to do this – it is fabulous as is. Vegan sour cream would be another fun way to top this one pot dish!
Meal Prep and Freezer Friendly
This would be a perfect dinner to meal prep on the weekend or even make and freeze! To meal prep, chop your peppers and onion and store in one container. Combine remaining ingredients in large storage container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To freeze, portion the cooked one pot dish into freezer safe containers.
This vegan recipe might be able to be adapted to the slow cooker, but I have not done that yet! If you do, I would love to know how it turned out.
We would love to know if you make this vegan one pot unstuffed peppers with rice easy dinner dinner! Tag @badtothebowl on social media and let us know!
Vegan One Pot Unstuffed Peppers with Rice
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 12 oz bag of meatless crumbles*
- 1 1/2 tsp EACH cumin, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 – 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 – 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 – 1 cup uncooked white rice, rinsed well*
- In large stock pot, water sauté onion and peppers until soft about 5 – 7 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent burning.
- Add in minced garlic, meatless crumbles and spices. Stir until combined and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, veggie broth, water and rice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 25 – 30 minutes until rice is soft. Stir every 5 – 10 minutes to prevent any burning or sticking.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and vegan cheese!