Creamy vegan pesto spaghetti squash is a delicious low carb, gluten free plant based meatless main that is full of flavor and perfet for dinner!
Ingredients in Vegan Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bake
I first made this vegan pesto spaghetti squash bake for a dinner with friends. I made it a on whim, but I knew they would love it, as these same friends love our sun dried tomato artichoke spaghetti squash skillet as well.
This plant based spaghetti squash meatless main has so much savory flavor from the cashew pesto. This is the cashew pesto from our Vegan Bruschetta Bowl recipe and it has both fresh parsley and fresh basil in it. We also sprinkled additional chopped basil on this spaghetti squash dish before baking which gives it additional flavor!
Here are the ingredients you will need for this pesto spaghetti squash:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Vegan Pesto
- Fresh Basil
- Nutritional Yeast
- Breadcrumbs (Gluten Free if needed)
How to Make Vegan Spaghetti Squash with Pesto Bake
This vegan recipe uses leftover pesto from our Vegan Bruschetta Bowl. The vegan pesto in that recipe is a cashew pesto made with fresh parsley and basil. If you opt to use a different pesto, you will want to make sure it has those same flavor notes!
First you will need to bake your spaghetti squash. I like to roast my spaghetti squash the whole method. This means I stick the whole spaghetti squash in the oven on a baking pan. I then roast it at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, rotating it halfway through the baking time.
After your spaghetti squash is done, let it cool off then cut the ends off, scoop the seeds out and remove the spaghetti squash strands. Next, place your spaghetti squash strands in a colander over a bowl and salt the spaghetti squash. This will draw water out of the spaghetti squash!
After that is done, you will be in the home stretch of getting your spaghetti squash into the oven to bake! Mix your spaghetti squash with the pesto, slice your tomatoes and place on top, then top with your breadcrumb mixture!
Bake your spaghetti squash and you will have a twice baked savory vegan spaghetti squash dish perfect for a weeknight dinner or a fancy enough dinner to impress guests!
How to Serve Plant Based Pesto Spaghetti Squash
I like to serve this spaghetti squash with grilled or roasted vegetables and a a green salad. This would also be delicious with roasted chickpeas our roasted butter beans.
This recipe is best ate fresh! It will also make great leftovers, although the color will not be as vibrant. You could make this ahead and just leave the breadcrumb mixture off until ready to bake.
I would not recommend freezing this recipe.
If you make this recipe, I would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Vegan Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bake
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup vegan
- 2 small tomatoes sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tblsp
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Roast your spaghetti squash. has a nice step by step guide! I follow their Roast it Whole Method. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place squash on baking pan and roast in oven for 40 minutes. Check. Squash is done when it forks easily with a fork. Depending on the size of your squash, it could take up to an hour and you may want to rotate it from side to side halfway through.
- After squash cools enough to handle easily without burning yourself, cut off both ends then slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp and seeds.
- Scoop out your spaghetti squash strands and place in colander over a bowl. Sprinkle squash with salt and let sit for 15 – 20 minutes to draw out water.
- Place squash in small round baking dish.
- Stir in your Vegan Cashew Pesto (or preferred pesto recipe).
- Slice tomatoes and layer on top of squash.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Combine breadcrumb, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and oregano and place the mixture on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes