You will love this healthy way to eat your taco! Vegan quinoa taco lettuce wrap is wrapped in lettuce vs a tortilla giving you an extra boost of greens while staying lower carb.
Ingredients in Vegan Taco Quinoa Lettuce Wrap
Every time I have a lettuce wrap, I say to myself “Now, why do I not wrap more things in lettuce?” It adds such a nice ‘fresh’ shell for holding food. Before going vegan, my first experience with lettuce wraps were PF Chang’s lettuce wraps. There is something about crunchy lettuce wrapped with a warm filling! Super yummy!
These vegan taco quinoa lettuce wraps are fresh, healthy, dairy free and plant based. The combination of seasonings make these taste amazing! Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Tri Color Quinoa
- Rotel with Lime
- Vegetable Bouillon
- Sweet Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Cilantro
- Black Beans
- Fresh Lettuce
This list may look long but that means it’s either time to add to your spice cabinet or start a spice cabinet! Spices give life to a plant based diet.
How to Make Quinoa Taco Lettuce Wraps
This quinoa taco recipe is easy to make. A few notes about quinoa though!
To soak or not soak quinoa?
I prefer to soak my quinoa! Quinoa has a natural coating of saponin, a chemical that helps repel microbes while the seed of quinoa is in its growing stage. Saponin may cause low-level gastrointestinal distress in some people and that includes me! Soaking helps aid in that digestion. If you want to soak your quinoa, I recommend soaking quinoa overnight then rinsing very well in a fine mesh colander.
Making the Quinoa Tacos
After your quinoa is rinsed and/or soaked and rinsed, combine your chopped vegetables, quinoa, water, rotel and bouillon on the stovetop and simmer until quinoa is done.
Next, add your spices. Then add your fresh cilantro, black beans and corn. This dish is so tasty, fresh and plant based protein packed!
How to Serve Quinoa Taco Lettuce Wraps
This is a great plant based meal prep meal! Make ahead of time and store (without lettuce) and at serving time, reheat and wrap in lettuce! I have used both Boston, Bibb and Red Leaf Lettuce to wrap my quinoa taco ingredients in! Romaine hearts might work well too.
This quinoa can also be frozen! Just thaw and reheat. I love when I can have easy plant based dinners in the freezer.
If you make this vegan quinoa taco recipe, tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Vegan Quinoa Taco Lettuce WrapCourse: Main
A healthy way to eat your tacos! Wrap quinoa in lettuce and enjoy with a side of chips.
- Quinoa Taco Filling
1/2 cup tri – color quinoa
10 oz can of Rotel with Lime
3/4 cup of water (or less see recipe notes)
1/2 tsp of veggie bouillon
1/4 of a jalapeno diced (more if you want it spicier!)
1/4 cup each of diced red, yellow and orange pepper (if you want to just use one color that is fine too!)
1/4 cup diced sweet onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp each cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder
1/4 tsp each salt, oregano, smoked paprika
1/8 tsp red pepper
1 Tblsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup cooked black beans
1/4 cup fresh or frozen thawed corn kernels
salt and pepper to taste
Large Leaf Lettuce – Romaine, leaf or boston bibb (I used Boston Bibb)
- Soak quinoa overnight OR rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh colander.
- Combine all ingredients from quinoa to garlic clove in medium saucepan and bring to boil. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until quinoa looks popped open—revealing the germ of the kernel. Cooking time might be reduced if you have soaked your quinoa. Also if you have soaked your quinoa, you may need only 1/2 cup of water! I cook on a gas stove, so I always check to make sure my water has not all evaporated, so keep an eye on it – you may need to add more water or drain some water from the pan.
- After quinoa is done add all spices from cumin to red pepper.
- Stir in cilantro, black beans and corn.
- Give it a good stir to combine all ingredients. Enjoy right away with a large lettuce leaf, like boston, bibb or red leaf lettuce. These vegan taco lettuce wraps can be made ahead and stored in refrigerator until ready to eat (store without lettuce). Can also be frozen (without lettuce) to enjoy on a busy night.