This post may contain affiliate links, read our disclosure here.Jump to Recipe
These sweet potato croquettes are vegan and gluten free bites of yumminess! Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, I love how easy these were to make and they were perfect as a side dish or in your favorite vegan bowl.
What Ingredients are In Sweet Potato Croquettes
These tasty bites are easy to make with common pantry ingredients and some common spices. I used gluten free cornflake crumbs to give them a crisp ‘outer topping’ – you could also use panko. I don’t recommend regular bread crumbs as they won’t turn out as crispy.
Cooked sweet potatoes are mashed together with cooked red lentils and onion then combined with coriander, cumin and salt. I love to add fresh cilantro, but if your all out of that ingredient these are equally good without the cilantro.
How to Make Gluten Free Sweet Potato Croquettes
After your ingredients are mashed together, place your gluten free topping (panko or cornflake crumbs) in a separate bowl. I recommend shaping your potato mixture into oblong croquette shapes first, washing your hands then rolling each croquette in the gluten free breadcrumbs.
Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking pan and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The topping won’t be as crispy, but they are still great to eat as leftovers!
You could also meal prep these and bake later! If you use the cornflake gluten free breadcrumbs these will still turn out crispy, I have not tested this way with panko.
If you make these, I would love to know! Tag @badtothebowl on social media.
Vegan Sweet Potato Croquettes
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 sweet potato (1 1/2 cups diced)
- 1/4 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tblsp gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tblsp fresh cilantro, minced (optional)
- 3/4 cup gluten free panko or gluten free cornflake crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 and prepare a large rimmed jelly roll pan with parchment or silpat mat.
- In medium sized saucepan, saute onion and garlic for 3 – 5 minutes (add a small bit of water to prevent burning)
- Add rinsed red lentils and diced sweet potato. Cover all ingredients with 1 cup water and bring to boil. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Drain well.
- Place potato mixture in bowl and mash with fork or potato masher. These do not need to be pureed but most big chunks should be ‘mashed’ consistency.
- Add to potato mixture cumin, coriander, salt and minced cilantro (optional)
- Shape potato mixture into small oblong croquette shape (about 1 – 1 /2 inches long).
- Place gluten free breadcrumbs in small shallow dish.
- Roll each croquette in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on prepared baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the croquettes halfway through baking time.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a covered container for up 3 – 5 days.