I am one of the those people who draws energy from others. Too many days without seeing friends honestly leaves me feeling a little off! Don’t get me wrong, I love my family and my husband is the best guy ever, but sometimes you need a little chat time with other people outside the family circle. It brightens my day!
There are a lot of wild rice, bean and veggie recipes out there and I have made quite a few of them! BUT I am always tweak them to my liking, adding a spice here or a little more chopped veggies there. So I thought it was high and dry time that I created my own.
Wild Rice, Bean and Veggie SaladCourse: Sides, Salads
Wild rice, 3 beans and loads of flavor make this the perfect choice for your next picnic or potluck!
2 cups cooked wild rice and quinoa blend (I like the Minute Rice blend)*
1 – 15 oz. can reduced sodium dark red kidney beans
1 – 15 oz. can reduced sodium black beans
1 – 15 oz can reduced or no salt added garbanzo (chickpeas) beans
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 jalapeño, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
3 Tblsp red wine vinegar
2 Tblsp fresh lime juice
1 Tblsp sugar
2 minced garlic cloves
1 t. salt
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. smoked paprika
- Cook wild rice quinoa blend according to package directions and cool completely. (I like to stick mine in the freezer for a quick cool down)
- Dice both red pepper, red onion and jalapeño (remove seeds) and add to a large bowl.
- Mince cilantro – this should be 1/2 cup minced!
- In another small bowl, add together remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Add cooled rice to bowl with your fresh veggies.
- Pour dressing ingredients over your rice and veggies and stir really well.
- Chill until serving, stir well before serving. This gets better while marinating in the fridge!
- *you could just use wild rice as well or brown rice – I have not tested with these though